Tuesday 2 June 2009

The Sewing Machine Meme

The sewing machine meme is from the Sew Mama Sew blog.

I love SMS! Its got so many handy bits to it, and they do some fantastic tutes and reviews.

What brand and model do you have?

I have 3 machines - a 1953 Singer, a 1954 Singer and a 1910 Vesta

How long have you had it?

I've had the Vesta for many years, but i'm going to move it on to someone else because it only works for a week or so after servicing.

I've had the 1954 Singer for about 6 months i think. Its beautiful!

I've had the 1953 Singer a bit longer.

How much does that machine cost (approximately)?

The Vesta cost  me £10 at an auction, and then £30 for a service.

The 1954 Singer was free - i had to pick it up. It hasn't been serviced yet, i'm hoping to learn to do it myself,  Its an electric/treadle and too big and heavy to cart about.

The 1953 Singer was also free, and it cost me £75 for servicing!! Not taking it there again!

What types of things do you sew (i.e. quilting, clothing, handbags, home dec projects, etc.)?

Whatever i'm in the mood for that day...

How much do you sew? How much wear and tear does the machine get?

I;ve not sewn a lot with any of them yet - the vesta breaks down regularly, the treadle/electric needs servicing before i use it, and the 1953 i just haven't had the chance to sit down with it! It did sew a denim rug at the weekend though.

Do you like/love/hate your machine? Are you ambivalent? Passionate? Does she have a name?

I love them...all of them! My favourite at the moment is the 1953- it looks pretty and sounds wonderful!


What features does your machine have that work well for you?

The 1953 is made to be used for everything, and i love that. Its made to go through denim, and cotton and layers of stuff. Its more sturdy than a modern machine in my opinion.

THe 1954 is gorgeous, it is a treadle that has been converted so that it can be either. I need a new lead for it before i even start...

The vesta is pretty, and it is a hand-crank machine.


Is there anything that drives you nuts about your machine?
The vesta drives me nuts every time i try to use it!! It just won't work!

The 1953 has some gorgeous feet that i just can't get threaded properly

the 1954 needs servicing...


Do you have a great story to share about your machine (i.e., Found it under the Christmas tree? Dropped it on the kitchen floor? Sewed your fingernail to your zipper?, Got it from your Great Grandma?, etc.!)? We want to hear it!
Nope...not yet...


Would you recommend the machine to others? Why?

I'd definitely recommend getting a vintage Singer to anyone. The parts are pretty easy to get hold of, and they're made to be used to make everything - they were the housewife's best friend.


What factors do you think are important to consider when looking for a new machine?

Stability, is it going to walk off the table? Ease of use, and 'Is it strong enough' - Can the motor handle what you want to sew? I love using denim and corduroy, but some of the modern machines can't take the layers, and have trouble. The older ones don't.


Do you have a dream machine?
I own my dream machine - the 1954 singer - treadle and electric. If there's a power cut right at the end of the project, its not a problem, i can just treadle my way through it!

No comments: